The Bearded Hiker is not having Thanksgiving this year. Well, I’ll have the turkey and a bit of sides, but that’s about it. No family. No friends. Maybe a couple of friends. No fried turkey, but a smoked one instead. Maybe? Hopefully good weather will join us as our very special guest.
The best thing about this quiet Thanksgiving is, well, the quiet but also leftover turkey! I know a lot of people don’t want any leftover turkey. They’re sick of turkey, especially if they’re the ones that cooked the silly thing.
I can get that way, but then I just think of that lovely cold turkey sandwich on soft white bread loaded with mayo and a couple shakes of Worcestershire. Love it!
But the last few years I’ve dry brined the turkey and then fried it. It’s sooo good that there is no turkey left. Have you ever even seen that at your house for Thanksgiving? When all is said and done, you’re left with a hot mess of a kitchen and a carcass sitting there?
Growing up, I never did. We had the leftovers and alot of them! Admittedly, my mother did not cook a good turkey. Sorry Mom! It’s the truth and I must speak it. And as much as I love the turkey sandwiches, I don’t want to eat that for a solid week. But, that’s what we did.
I’m much more sophisticated now. Ok, no I’m not, I just cook for myself now. Now, I have expanded my use of leftover turkey and these are some of my favorites! I think once you check these out, you’ll look forward to your leftover turkey too!
HERE’S TO GIVING THANKS AND USING THE LEFTOVERS!
1. Baked Turkey Croquettes from SkinnyTaste – Not just delicious but cute too. Uses your turkey and mashed potato leftovers! I’ve made these and loved them. I also had left over sautéed cabbage so I tossed it in there too. Good stuff.
2. Thanksgiving in a puff pastry! Turkey & Stuffing Turnovers from A Family Feast.
3. Opelousas – A Rice Cooker One Pot Meal – My rice cooker opelousas begs for leftover turkey or ham or whatever leftover meats you have from your Thanksgiving meal. Just toss it in and go!
4. Carrie’s Home Cooking has Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey Spaghetti. Yummy comfort food and a perfect way to use up some of that leftover turkey!
5. Olivia’s Cuisine sees your turkey sandwich and raises you a Turkey and Mashed Potatoes Casserole!
6. Roasted turkey, creamy camembert cheese, tart apple slices and hot pepper jelly combine for a wonderful panini at Saving Room for Desert.
7. This Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey Tetrazzini begins with your turkey leftovers, mushrooms, and pasta which is tossed together with a creamy, garlicky sauce, topped with a sprinkling of Parmesan and Mozzarella @ Carrie’s Home Cooking. This looks oohh so cheesy yummy!
8. Looking for a low-carb turkey situation? I Breathe I’m Hungry has got you covered with Smoky Bacon & Turkey Chowder.
9. Serious Eats knows just how to win my tastebuds – Leftover Turkey “Carnitas”! Goodness goodnes I love tacos!
10. You could just shred or chop, throw it in a tortilla with some black olives, refried beans, a little enchilada sauce in it or whatever floats your boat, top with the enchilada sauce and cheese and bake. Oh yea! Finish off with lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream.
11. Of course, use the carcass to make turkey stock! I know people do it in their pressure cooker, but I’m not sure how. I mean, a turkey is big! I just use a big stock pot.
12. Jalapeño Beans with Shredded Turkey – Easy, tastes like you simmered it all day and healthy. Great to eat with some cornbread or over nachos!12 Delicious recipes to deal with your leftover turkey!Click To Tweet